Monday, April 8, 2013

I've been thinking bout your face..

Glen Hansard has for a very ling time long been one of my most favourite people. Since Oxegen 2005 if we're being specific. The Frames, The Swell Season and his solo work have accompanied me through lots of highs and lows, several ages and school years and inumeral bus trips. His lyrics are written on book covers, folders, in notebooks, on scraps of paper and when I had bunkbeds I used to write the lyrics from 'The Cost' underneath the top bunk...(where my Mom wouldn't be inclined to notice...clever thinking or what.)
I thought of him again when I was flicking through liked videos on youtube and it revived all those feelings I have for his music. It's nice to revisit, it's been a while.

I've seen him play live a few times with and without the rest of the band (I'll always consider The Frames to be his rightful home) and I've been lucky enough to meet him on a few occasions. He's always been so gracious and charming and generous enough to give his time to talk to an underage superfan. What a great man.

There's a particularly unflattering photo to accompany the story of my first time meeting him but I was 16, only in town because I was on the way to the orthodontist and it was a Wednesday so I was fully school- uniformed and also, it was raining. That's never gracing the internet.
Key things to note however are that he told me he liked my shoes, ( I was wearing checkered Vans) he put my name on the guestlist for the gig that night and I sat third row from the front, with my school bag in tow and haven't forgotten it since.



This is a particular favourite. It brings back all of the memories.





He says such wise things. 

C
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far."
Swami Vivekananda

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...