Wednesday, July 23, 2014

One to watch: The Broken Circle Breakdown

I went over to Alison's house this evening to watch films. We ate carrot sticks and hummus and popcorn and chocolate. We watched a Belgian film called The Broken Circle Breakdown. It was the best film I have seen in a long, long time. The Broken Circle Breakdown was directed by Felix van Groeningen. It's based on the stage play with the same name by Johan Heldenbergh and Mieke Dobbels. 



The film is so heartbreakingly honest and beautiful and so thoughtfully directed. I had a lump in my throat for most of the second half, and I feel like I'll be thinking about these characters for days and days. The bluegrass score is beautiful, too. The first and very last shot of the film are of Didier's bluegrass band, playing songs about life and death, which kind of brings the whole film in a full circle, I think. 



It's a heartache, so don't watch if you're feeling particularly blue, but wow, I am still so impressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far."
Swami Vivekananda

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...